As the country grapples with the massive number of active Covid-19 cases, doctors and experts recommend patients with mild symptoms to go for home quarantine, pronal breathing and regular monitoring.
April,23,2021:There’s a hue and cry across the country with Covid-19 patients and families making desperate calls for hospital beds, oxygen or essential medicines. However, doctors say that not all Covid-19 patients need admission and care can be taken at home.
Long queues outside hospitals have become a common and harrowing sight over the past month as the country records lakhs of Covid positive cases every day.
Many a time, patients and families get into panic mode once the test report says Covid positive. With breathing difficulties and dipping oxygen levels, everyone seeks to get admitted at the hospital. But according to Dr Rudra of Rejoice Hospital, not all Covid-19 patients need hospital admission.
“This disease takes 15 days. The initial mild symptoms stay for five days and then there are moderate symptoms and then if the condition deteriorates, it can become serious,” said Dr Rudra.
The doctor says that a patient only reaches the critical stage if he already has a serious disease or has been negligent at the outset of the Covid-19 infection.
While Covid-19 cases with mild symptoms can be treated at home, in such a situation, it is important to know the methods to follow.
“It is important that you know the method of treatment at home because those with mild symptoms do not have to go to the hospital,” he said.
Medical experts say the pronal breathing exercise can bring immediate relief and help the oxygen saturation in your body. Along with this, oxygen should be monitored constantly with the help of a pulse oximeter.
1. The first and foremost step is to make a Covid calendar to monitor yourself for the next 15 days.
2. In this calendar, you note your fever, blood pressure, sugar level, SpO2 levels, which is the amount of oxygen in the body. Make sure to check the oxygen saturation at least three times a day.
3. If your oxygen saturation dips below 94, start pronal breathing by taking long breaths while lying on your stomach.
4. Pronal breathing method: Take three pillows. Lie on your stomach. Keep one pillow below your neck, one under your stomach and another under both legs, and then take deep breaths.
5. It is recommended that you do pronal breathing for at least 30 minutes in a day. With pronal breathing, oxygen saturation in the body can even go from 88 to 95.
6. Consult doctors over the phone for medicines that can be taken in case of home quarantine apart from other diagnostics that may have to be done.